Dr. Oetker, the leading manufacturer of frozen pizza, desserts and baking mixes, has announced plans to close its pizza manufacturing facility in Grand Falls, Canada by the end of May.
In a statement, the company said: “The retail food climate in which Dr. Oetker operates has become increasingly challenging in recent years both in terms of price and cost, adding significant additional pressures in the manufacturing environment”.
70% of Grand Falls production will now shift to a site in London, Ontario, while the remaining 30% will be moved to a factory in Lodi, NJ USA.
Commenting on the move, Cécile Van Zandijcke, executive vice president at Dr. Oetker said: “This very difficult announcement does not reflect on the quality of work and dedication of our Grand Falls employees. There is nothing our Grand Falls employees could have done differently. Food manufacturers have been facing severe economic pressures over the last few years and today’s market has become ultra-competitive. In order for Dr. Oetker to continue operating efficiently within this challenging environment, we needed to restructure our Canadian Manufacturing Operation”.
Source: Dr. Oetker (via Newswire)
Discover our latest reports